For Reals

I must have started at least ten posts in the past few days, only to end up interrupted. Not surprising, I guess, considering there have been two active children, with nothing productive to do, stuck inside for several days because of the rain and wind. The wind! I guess March didn’t get that note about leaving like a lamb, though April was clearly informed of the showers situation.

Long story short, it’s been a very hard week. HRH has been gone, which makes it easier in a lot of ways, but it is nice to occasionally have some adult conversation. There are only so many times one can converse enthusiastically about Wreck-It-Ralph, having only seen bits and pieces of it, just as there are only so many times one can feign interest in the biting power of the misunderstood crocodile. Apparently it feels like being crushed by a truck. (No, I don’t know how he knows that and I’d rather not find out.)

This morning, Me First had opening ceremony at school. He was supposed to leave at eight and come home at nine. But I signed up for a yoga course (once a week for three months,) and it starts today. They have babysitting for children over two but not yet school-aged (which is close-to-meaningless since the majority of children here start preschool at three years of age,) so Me Too was covered. Brother’s best friend was going to after-care today, so he was happy to sign up to stay until lunch time and then trotted off on his merry way this morning.

I needed this class this morning. Not for the exercise, really, but I needed a few minutes to myself. Me Too has been on spring break for three weeks already, Brother for two. We’ve been stuck inside a lot and they have been fighting fighting fighting and the days have been loooonnnnggg. The babysitting service had this long list of things I had to prepare (a rice ball was one of them, for goodness sake,) and that was kind of a pain, but I figured it was a small price to pay for my sanity. Or what’s left of it, anyway. So I got all that crud together and we were putting our shoes on when



Wiggle wiggle (of the doorknob.)

I only know one person who would do all of those things in such quick procession.

And sure enough, there he was. Me First had decided he didn’t want to go to after care. He was tired from standing in the schoolyard for an hour that morning.

I guess that was a good thing, because he would now have to sit in the lobby of the sports center for an hour. But now, of course, Me Too didn’t want to go to the babysitting room. She wanted to stay with her brother.


He would be fine by himself, but together? No way. They would be bouncing on the benches and someone was sure to bust their head open. Not to mention that there is no way I would be able to concentrate, much less relax, for an hour while they were in the lobby wreaking utter havoc and sustaining irreversible injury.

So I did what all good moms do.

I promised Me Too a cookie if she would go to the babysitting room.

Since preschool hasn’t started yet, there were several other “big” girls there as well, so they got out some puzzles and whatnot and she seemed to have a good time in spite of herself.

But, for reals, of course something like this would happen on the one day I had planned to do something for myself.

And I won’t get started on the child “care” system in place at Me First’s school that allows children to just blow it off when they feel like it.

Frowny face Frowny face Frowny face

(For some reason, Me Too is singing opera-style in the next room, about Wreck-It-Ralph, of course. Makes it kind of hard to concentrate, but it’s cute.)


3 Comments (+add yours?)

  1. Kym
    Apr 05, 2013 @ 19:14:49

    Holy sh!t! What if he’d decided to not come home? Do they call to let you know he has left the building?


  2. hamakkomommy
    Apr 05, 2013 @ 20:52:44

    The after care and the school are so disconnected…. It is by no means a perfect system.

    He has a card that I fill in with the date, time, and whether or not I will pick him up. If he forgets the card or it isn’t filled in, the after care staff will call me to verify if he should be there or sent home. But his school teacher doesn’t check for the card. If he is supposed to go and doesn’t, then no one notices.

    If he’d been sixty seconds later coming home today, I don’t know what he would have done.

    I’m going to talk to the after care people next week. This is the second time it’s happened. I think something as simple as the teacher asking them to check their backpacks for the card and making two lines, one for after care and one for going home, at the end of the day would go a long way to solving the problem. An e-mail system or something that bypassed the kids’ responsibility entirely would be even better.

    Btw if your kid is absent from school and you haven’t called, they do not call to inform you. That’s part of the reason there are so many 不登校, truancy, problems. I know a woman whose son didn’t go to jr high for a whole semester before she finally found out! God forbid something happens on the way to school, you wouldn’t notice until they didn’t come home.


  3. illahee
    Apr 06, 2013 @ 13:49:29

    last year hiro’s teacher called to tell me he hadn’t arrived yet. he just walked really slow and arrived after the first bell. i was really glad she called! that was when he was in first grade, though. and again, small school, only 15 kids in hiro’s class!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: